AHL Shut Down???

Talk about the Chicago Wolves, the AHL, and other hockey in general here. Not hockey? Head outside to The Great Outdoors.

Note: The old message board is officially dead. They took away the old version of PHP, meaning it won't run, and I didn't have enough time to try to upgrade to the new version. You will need to re-register to post!
Hunt

Re: AHL Shut Down???

Post by Hunt »

I don't think they are tied to the NHL.

The NHL gets TV money to bring in substantial amounts of revenue, even with no fans in the stands. The AHL does not. If there is any NHL regular season left, it will just be a handful of games. Once the playoffs start, NHL teams are used to having their AHL teams eliminated, so this would be no different.

I will be beyond stunned if the AHL returns this year, and I think it's very possible the AHL may not return in the fall if there is no clear path to having fans in the stands. NHL teams can just have their prospects practice and scrimmage at their practice sites...maybe even do some group tournaments (similar to what the Traverse City one is, except during the season). That would cost FAR less money than running the AHL with zero revenue. That's what MLB is planning to do as well.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Yep there all done and from what Andrews is saying it might not start up until Nov maybe even Jan.

The Wolves have a podcast with Jason Shavers.

PODCAST: The Cancellation of the 2019-20 Season – Part 1 | Ep. 8

https://www.chicagowolves.com/2020/05/1 ... -1-ep-8/

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Right.

This thread/discussion was people speculation from BEFORE the announcement. Once the announcement of cancelation came, the discussion moved over to that thread.