December 4 2020

Talk about the Chicago Wolves, the AHL, and other hockey in general here. Not hockey? Head outside to The Great Outdoors.

Note: The old message board is officially dead. They took away the old version of PHP, meaning it won't run, and I didn't have enough time to try to upgrade to the new version. You will need to re-register to post!
Hunt

Re: December 4 2020

Post by Hunt »

I will also bet money that the season will not start on Feb 5.

Wollvesfan86

Post by Wollvesfan86 »

Might as well skip the season at that point.

Mike

Post by Mike »

They could do a short season. 30 games and run it into the summer. I too will be surprised that they start on Feb 5th. We will see.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

I still go back to my original belief that it's going to be what the NHL wants to support financially.

I don't believe it will be anything close to profitable (for at least many teams) for the AHL to play this season at all. For an AHL season to happen, I think the NHL (or the AHL team affiliates) will have to support the AHL much more than usual. But, of course, the NHL will be facing its own financial crunch. The question to me is if the NHL would rather pay extra to have their prospects play in an AHL season or pay to have a local taxi-squad like the MLB did this season.

Wollvesfan86

Post by Wollvesfan86 »

I wonder how the echl will start in December without the NHL starting until January or later and the AHL possibly in February. I would think the leagues would have to line up the schedules better

chilly666

Post by chilly666 »

Wollvesfan86 wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:50 pm
I wonder how the echl will start in December without the NHL starting until January or later and the AHL possibly in February. I would think the leagues would have to line up the schedules better
considering the echl isn't going to be getting many (if any) nhl contracted players this season, i don't see why it matters if the schedules align. if the echl was treated better by nhl and ahl teams, they might try to work with them and want their input on when they start to play. but because nhl and ahl teams treat echl teams like cheap whores, the echl teams don't and imo shouldn't care about the nhl/ahl wants/needs. again, that last sentence is my opinion on it.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Very fair points. I agree the ECHL has no reason to be on the same calendar as the NHL/AHL (whether they should be or not is another interesting debate for another day).

My only question is I don't see how it's profitable to run an indoor league right now. I know a lot of the ECHL is in places with looser restrictions than the Northeast, West Coast, or Great Lakes/upper midwest, but I'm skeptical the math works out in any way.

Wollvesfan86

Post by Wollvesfan86 »

I dont know any of the math. But I do know that some of the states with echl teams have no restrictions on indoor gatherings at all. Some others allow 50%. I have no idea what percentage of tickets they usually sell. Also, unrelated, but the SPHL is also playing, with fans. But half of the teams opted out.

chilly666

Post by chilly666 »

Hunt wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:55 pm
My only question is I don't see how it's profitable to run an indoor league right now.
i don't think it's about being profitable right now for them, but moreso not losing as much money as they could if not playing. any income for them is good income during this coming season in their eyes.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

I also think that if there is a season travel will be reduced a ton...I'd bet even more Rockford and Milwaukee. Maybe teams like Grand Rapids and Iowa come here once for a two game series in two nights. But that's about it...