December 4 2020

Talk about the Chicago Wolves, the AHL, and other hockey in general here. Not hockey? Head outside to The Great Outdoors.

Note: The old message board is officially dead. They took away the old version of PHP, meaning it won't run, and I didn't have enough time to try to upgrade to the new version. You will need to re-register to post!
wolfkeeper
Site Admin

December 4 2020

Post by wolfkeeper »

Start of the season or wishful thinking?

https://theahl.com/ahl-moves-2020-21-start-date

wolves01

Re: December 4 2020

Post by wolves01 »

I think unless the parent clubs subsidize this, it won't happen. AHL teams get little or no TV revenue, and I don't see fans being in the stands by then. No fans=No revenue.

Wollvesfan86

Post by Wollvesfan86 »

Chicago dogs baseball, in Rosemont, already have fans in the stands. Limited capacity and socially distanced seats. I know indoor and outdoor are differant, but it can be done.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Yes, it can be done outdoors, in a tiny stadium, at an insanely low level of play, with basically no pay to the players, with no professional treatment.

You can't compare an outdoors league of leftovers playing to hold off life for another summer and praying they get noticed to the indoor top developmental league to the NHL and the second or thrid best hockey league in the world.

The economics won't work until stadiums are relatively normalish open.

The question is would the NHL prefer to pay for the relative normalcy of their prospects playing a normal AHL season, or with the pandemic would they rather keep them closer ala the MLB taxi squad.
Last edited by Hunt on Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike

Post by Mike »

It's possible for the season to open by then, but it is all going to come down to fan confidence. Even if everything is open by then, if the fans don't think it is a good idea they are not going to go to the games. I go with my dad. He is in his 80's. I am not going to risk it, if I don't think it is safe to do so.

NHL teams will have to step in to help their AHL affiliate, otherwise it will not work. Some of these teams are mom and pop type operations and they are on a shoe string budget.

We will see if this thing gets off the ground then. I was thinking January at the earliest.

Wollvesfan86

Post by Wollvesfan86 »

Lol, ok, under state law stadiums can sell 25% of tickets at this time. JB Pritzker gave Cubs and sox permission to have 8,000 fans, but mlb chose to play without fans. 25% at the AA would be about 4,000 fans. A lot of wolves games have less people than that anyway

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Mike, agreed. The question is, since NHL teams will be footing the bill anyway, would they rather then be paying an AHL season (at extra pandemic cost) or keep prospects local with a taxi squad. THAT is the question. If the NHL wants to foot the bill, a season can happen with limited fans. But the AHL can't afford to do that.

86, yes, and the Wolves surely lose money on all those games with 4,000 fans...who are all in their great season tix, not evenly spread throughout the stadium. But that's fine because the Wolves can make up those losses with their handful of 12,000+ crowds and the number of 7-9k crowds. If those aren't possible, the math no longer works. Not to mention many teams play in much smaller arenas where 25% may mean a max of only a couple thousand.

It's really the NHL's call. What do they want?

WolfBoy

Post by WolfBoy »

I think January 2021 is a more realistic starting date.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Based on what?

None of us have any clue how our country will be with the virus this winter. I am very curious why December is too early but January will be ready to go...

Mike

Post by Mike »

Based on nothing. Just my opinion.

I think it is more realistic that there will be a vaccine by then and that the country will have gotten a better hold of the situation. Other then that you are correct we don't know.