Looks like Carolina affiliation about to happen

Talk about the Chicago Wolves, the AHL, and other hockey in general here. Not hockey? Head outside to The Great Outdoors.

Note: The old message board is officially dead. They took away the old version of PHP, meaning it won't run, and I didn't have enough time to try to upgrade to the new version. You will need to re-register to post!
WolfBoy

Re: Looks like Carolina affiliation about to happen

Post by WolfBoy »

My sources tell me it is, not sure why it wouldn't be announced at this point.

wolves01

Post by wolves01 »

Florida Panthers-Charlotte affiliation announced today. Only one option remains for the Wolves

Mike

Post by Mike »

Yes this is weird that they haven't announced the affiliation yet.

wolves01

Post by wolves01 »

Mike

Post by Mike »

Worst kept secret in the AHL. Not that it was a secret or anything but no reason to take so long to anounce.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

It will be interesting to hear the story when it comes out of what happened between Carolina and Charlotte.

They've been slowly building a nice regional base there. They just got an ECHL team in South Carolina too. The AHL team was successful too.

There's obviously more to the story...and more than just the Waddell connection too.

Mike

Post by Mike »

I didn't think of that Hunt. I am always interested in hearing why teams change affiliations.

chilly666

Post by chilly666 »

Hunt wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:29 pm
They've been slowly building a nice regional base there. They just got an ECHL team in South Carolina too.
say what? greenville has had a team for 18 of the last 22 seasons (last 10 in a row) and the stingrays are going on year 28 of their franchise.....i'd say that a little more than slowly building a fan base or just getting a team.

nmuwildcat

Post by nmuwildcat »

Hunt wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:29 pm
It will be interesting to hear the story when it comes out of what happened between Carolina and Charlotte.
The Athletic posted an article over the weekend that discussed this.

https://theathletic.com/2057883/2020/09 ... ed-article

While neither side came out and said so, it appears on face value that Carolina was looking at controlling costs and Charlotte was looking for more money from their parent club.

What makes this even more awkward is the Checkers owner is also a minority investor in the Hurricanes.

chilly666

Post by chilly666 »

nmuwildcat wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:30 am
While neither side came out and said so, it appears on face value that Carolina was looking at controlling costs and Charlotte was looking for more money from their parent club.
what was charlotte looking for more money for? they pay the nhl team for the affiliation so it isn't that.