Register

sign and drive started 1/1/15

You want to argue ketchup on hot dogs? Why the Bears suck? Post a stupid photo? If it ain't hockey, do it here.
Wolves fan for life

sign and drive started 1/1/15

Postby FlexwithSkates » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:33 pm

Just FYI an unintended consequence of another law made Illinois a "sign and drive" state again. I have heard of several situations already where officers mistakenly stayed with the expired law and took a license as bond for a traffic ticket. You no longer have to post bond (I believe it will change back in a few years) for a basic traffic ticket. This does not apply to insurance tickets, DUI, or any other misdemeanor traffic citation.
Shut the fuck up, Donny. ....you're out of your fucking element!

Wolves fan for life

Re: sign and drive started 1/1/15

Postby Howler1 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:59 pm

I think this is due to the fact that we need photo IDs for so many things. I possible solution may be to assign a photo ID at same time the DL is issued. Then the DL can be used as bond.
Lies, Greed, Racism and Fear... The Republican Way!

Wolves fan for life

Postby FlexwithSkates » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:46 am

An unintended circumstance allowed Quinn and a couple of Chicago Dems to forward the bill which they promoted as "people need to retain their photo ID" but yet these same guys rip on voter ID requirements. The sign and drive law wastes tax payer monies, police services and puts a heavier burden on an already over crowded court system.

Wolves fan for life

Postby Howler1 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:54 am

FlexwithSkates wrote:An unintended circumstance allowed Quinn and a couple of Chicago Dems to forward the bill which they promoted as "people need to retain their photo ID" but yet these same guys rip on voter ID requirements. The sign and drive law wastes tax payer monies, police services and puts a heavier burden on an already over crowded court system.

I don't see where it incurs extra costs. People need photo IDs more today than before. Perhaps offer them at time of DL tests for a minimal charge. Voter ID is a separate issue, which I don't have a problem with...but nice try any way.

Wolves fan for life

Postby FlexwithSkates » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:34 pm

Voter ID requirement and Sign and Drive may be separate issues but you have to see the hypocrisy in using the excuse that people need their IDs in one circumstance but then don't need it in a circumstance that helps my party out.

To your other point......
I'm speaking from with the area of my professional life of 36 years (I started taking bonds at the front desk of the Niles Police Department at 16) and expertise. From some of your posts I'll assume you are in some area of business and if a topic relied in your area of vast experience and expertise I would believe your expert opinion in that area over my guess or assumption. But I'll try to explain.

We had sign and drive 20 years ago so all of the following has already been proven and is why we did away with sign and drive back then.
For some reason the general public holds their physical driver's license sacred. I've been on calls where people care more about getting their physical license back the their children.
When a license is held as bond for a traffic ticket, compliance with the provisions and obligations of the ticket are completed at an extremely high rate. Fines are paid on time, court dates are requested in a timely, proper manner and attended at a high %. This allows the system to run at its most efficient. The system we had the last twenty years allowing people to plead guilty or sign up for traffic school on line or via mail cut our traffic court calls by 50% or more. Less court time is less overtime hours paid to officers. When Cash was posted as bond who cares if the person complies with the provisions of the ticket the money is already in hand. With no compliance a simple push of a button by the court clerk submits a conviction on their record and the fine has been paid.
Under sign and drive their is a large increase in the number of people who file the ticket in the glove box or the in box on their desk or the circular file and never comply with the provisions of the ticket. This is where the cost increases begin. With no money in hand the expense of late notices, suspension notices and court reminders being produced and mailed are incurred. As this burden increases overtime is paid to court clerks to make this happen. A higher % of unpaid fines go to collection agencies who take their cut. With no threat of not getting my license back court dates and traffic school appearances are blown off at a higher rate increasing costs in those two areas due to rescheduling. More people miss the mail in/ online window and then require a court appearance. My last two court call have been noticeably larger, again fuller court rooms, less combined court rooms, more overtime for everyone. Less compliance means eventually more suspended drivers which means less drivers who are covered by insurance even if the have it. More police time will be wasted dealing with these suspended drivers...........ect, ect, ect.

This has all been visited before when we had sign and drive 20 years ago and history repeats itself.

Wolves fan for life

Postby Howler1 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:46 pm

Less overtime sounds good to me the taxpayer. So as I said before issue a photo ID and a DL. Then they can give up the DL as bond and your problem is solved, mostly. The person still has a photo ID. Then you can get rid of the law that you complain about. Talk to Rauner I'm sure he'll be in favor of saving money.

Wolves fan for life

Postby FlexwithSkates » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:55 pm

state ids are free to those over 65, the disabled and the homeless(not sure what address they put on it)

I think a better idea is a national ID which could be utilized for travel (the main complaint of people when posting their DL for a ticket) voting, combating the massive amount of fraud in our welfare programs, immigration and many other areas.

Wolves fan for life

Postby Howler1 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:46 pm

FlexwithSkates wrote:state ids are free to those over 65, the disabled and the homeless(not sure what address they put on it)

I think a better idea is a national ID which could be utilized for travel (the main complaint of people when posting their DL for a ticket) voting, combating the massive amount of fraud in our welfare programs, immigration and many other areas.

Considering all the money saved in fraud a couple of bucks the state would shell out to pay for all to have them would be a worth while investment.

Return to The Great Outdoors