[Game Thread] 6.8 vs. the Charlottes

Talk about the Chicago Wolves, the AHL, and hockey in general here. Off-topic? Head outside to the Great Outdoors.
Enforcer

[Game Thread] 6.8 vs. the Charlottes

Postby Altmike » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:16 pm

Please win Please win Please Win

Really, they need a win tonight

Wolves fan for life

Re: [Game Thread] 6.8 vs. the Charlottes

Postby wolves01 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:24 pm

Really don't want them celebrating on our ice

Enforcer

Postby WolvesFan86 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:47 pm

Well, the better team won. Not much else to be said about that. Great season from the Wolves, sucks to come up short, but it is what it is. I'm ready to see what next season brings.

Wolves fan for life

Postby Howler1 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:13 pm

Coaching errors cost us. Also yet another year where the teams physical conditioning absolutely sucked.
Lies, Greed, Racism and Fear... The Republican Way!

Enforcer

Postby WolvesFan86 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:30 pm

Conditioning "absolutely sucked" yet they made the finals? They were simply outplayed by the checkers in ever aspect of the game. But I guess people have to complain about something

Wolves fan for life

Postby FlexwithSkates » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:00 am

The Checkers were the best team in the league from start to finish. They are a big, strong, fast, smart, well coached, disciplined team. Not flashy, but they don't have to be. they are constantly in the right position with great anticipation of what you are trying to do. All five are moving, with a specific purpose, sticks down, ready for their role on the play (offense or Defense) and know exactly what to do when they get the puck and move perfectly when they don't have it. They made a very good Wolves team look confused and sloppy, just gaining the zone was difficult. Their fore check is extremely aggressive and yet disciplined as is their PK. Bottom line is that a dominant team can make a very good team look horrible and that's exactly what happened.

With that being said, this Wolves team achieved a lot with all of the losses (Carr, Duke, Pirri, Brannestrom) and fought hard to come up one step short of a championship and there is no shame in that.
Shut the fuck up, Donny. ....you're out of your fucking element!

Enforcer

Postby Altmike » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:03 pm

The Checkers always seemed to have 4 guys back and to get a goal the Wolves had to make a perfect play or shot. Like what was said the Checkers had a very aggressive fore check and this I blame the coaching staff. Rocky should have figures out how to defeat this. When the Checkers came into the attack zone they had numbers and capitalized on their chances. The checkers were able to pin the wolves in their own zone that prevented the Wolves from controlling the puck and getting the offense going. The Wolves defence for some reason looked for the hard pass instead of the simple breakout pass when they did have time.

The Checkers goal tending was exceptional. They made the big saves when needed and this made the Wolves look for the perfect shot, passing up shots that they normally would have taken.

The Wolves looked lost at times and that was because the Checkers just had the Wolves flat footed. A good team will make any good team look bad and lost out there. I think this was the real problem with the Wolves. The Checkers were just faster and more practiced. I think the Wolves would have had a better chance if they had played these guys a few times in the season. This would have let them see what they were up against. This is a problem with the AHL. It needs to be corrected but sadly it will not be.

All in all the Wolves had a great season. They played well and were fun to watch. I am looking forward to next season and hoping that they can continue to get better. I am curios to see who comes back and who gets resigned/traded.

Wolves fan for life

Postby Howler1 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:53 pm

We were out skated that's conditioning. It's been a problem for years when we face higher echelon teams as the Checkers. Fundamentals were sorely lacking in game 5, bad passing etc. It seems coaching didn't make any adjustments during the series. Bad coaching decisions pulling the goalie against a team of sharpshooters without a stop gap. It was exciting while it lasted I don't think the players were at fault as their lack of coaching and adjustments.
Lies, Greed, Racism and Fear... The Republican Way!

Wolves fan for life

Postby warno » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:20 am

The injuries piled up as the season wore on but the fact that they got through the last 2 months of the regular season in a tight division race without the league MVP is pretty impressive. Tough to lose in the Final but this team exceeded my expectations. They just weren't deep enough in the end to counter a very talented Checkers team.

This was my last year as a STH. Was hoping to go out with a 5th Cup but it was not to be. After 25 years, it just seemed like the right time to end it. Just too much life-getting-in-the-way to commit to games for 6+ months at a time. I loved the weeknight games but with only 9 weekday games all season and 3 of those school day games, that left too many weekend conflicts. I still intend to get to the AA a few times next year. Vegas drafts well so it'll be fun to watch who they bring in next.

Wolves fan for life

Postby Goon1 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:22 am

The bottom line the Wolves were beat by a better team. No questions about it. They beat the Wolves to pucks. They scored 3 power play goals during the series, the Wolves 1. They outshot us in 3 games and most of their shots were good shots. yeah, the Wolves had a good player suspended for a game....big deal. Someone else steps up then. It is the fricking finals. Their goalie was better than ours when it mattered. They ran a defensive system at times and the Wolves couldn't adjust to it. Clogging the neutral zone, then you dump and go get it. Stick handling isn't getting it done during that time and it showed. I am glad we as fans were able to see the Wolves in the finals again. See what happens next year.
Dirk, Lurxst, and Pratt

Wolves fan for life

Postby Mike » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:24 pm

I'm back!

Going to miss you Steve. You always had some good insight on the game. Hope to see you there sometime.
George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider."

Wolves fan for life

Postby warno » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:31 am

Mike wrote:I'm back!

Going to miss you Steve. You always had some good insight on the game. Hope to see you there sometime.

Thanks Mike. I'm sure I'll get to a few. I'll miss the regulars up in 202 most of all.

Return to On the Ice