Attn: Mathematicians out there

Talk about the Chicago Wolves, the AHL, and hockey in general here. Off-topic? Head outside to the Great Outdoors.
Wolves fan for life

Attn: Mathematicians out there

Postby WolfBoy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:00 am

With a few game left for both teams, how close are we with GR? I'm not sure how they are calculating the win percentage, would it be safe to say if we take 2 out of 3, we got it?
You miss 100% of the Shots you don't Take. - Gretzky

Mr. Beer Snob

Re: Attn: Mathematicians out there

Postby WolfKeeper » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:34 am

It's based on winning percentage due to the teams out west that play fewer games.
"There's nothing important in there." -- AHL referee Ghislain Hebert on the AHL rulebook.

Wolves fan for life

Postby WolfBoy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:52 am

Right, I guess I wasn't clear, how do they detemine the winning percentage? Is it just wins vs everything else?
You miss 100% of the Shots you don't Take. - Gretzky

Mr. Beer Snob

Postby WolfKeeper » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:25 am

I'm not sure what the tiebreaker is but I would get it's hard to tie based on percentage, which is points divided by (games played times 2.) All those OTLs benefit us, since GR lost more games in regulation.

http://theahl.com/2017-calder-cup-playoff-primer
"There's nothing important in there." -- AHL referee Ghislain Hebert on the AHL rulebook.

Veteran

Postby PaulyWolf » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:40 am

Here's a link to the AHL page regarding tie-breakers. Based on that Grand Rapids would have it because of:A) percentage of games won and:B)points in season series between teams.

http://www.theahl.com/qualification-rules

Veteran

Postby PaulyWolf » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:52 am

It will be an interesting week to say the least.Here are the match-ups with teams left.
Wolves @Iowa,@Iowa Charlotte
Grand Rapids Charlotte,Charlotte,@Milwaukee

Teams fighting for the last spot.Both teams are at .568 winning percentage Charlotte was 5-2-1 against Cleveland
Charlotte @ Grand Rapids,@Grand Rapids@Wolves
Cleveland Manitoba,Manitoba

Charlotte and Cleveland have been playing lights out this past week. Of the schedule's the Wolves have the better;Grand Rapids is facing a hungry Charlotte team,however Charlotte has not been that good on the road.

It very well could come down to Sunday.Beat Charlotte,finish first and face Cleveland.Or finish second and play Milwaukee.I don't think the Wolves played their best this past weekend but taking 4 points and first place was nice.We could still finish first and play Charlotte.I don't think 4 points would guarantee that;maybe 5 points would.

Veteran

Postby wmubronco » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:46 pm

I think the whole win percentage thing, at least in terms of who gets in and for seeding for the first two rounds, really only matters in the Pacific. Everyone in the Central is playing 76 games, so i don't see that being a factor for any Central team until the 3rd round, when they'll play the Pacific Champion.

I think Pauly nailed it that GR wins any tiebreaker, so five points out of a possible six locks up the division regardless of what GR does.

Wolves fan for life

Postby FlexwithSkates » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:30 am

we control our own destiny with 3 games to go.........
Do what you have to and deserve 1st place or shit the bed and earn an extra 2nd round game in GR
Shut the fuck up, Donny. ....you're out of your fucking element!

Veteran

Postby PaulyWolf » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:31 pm

It won't matter for the Wolves or Grand Rapids but win percentage is part of the AHL's criteria for making the playoffs.I don't think Charlotte & Cleveland can finish the season tied percentage wise as Cleveland plays 2 to Charlotte's 3 games.And Yes the whole winning percentage thing was Gifted to the Pacific division by the president of the AHL Lord David Andrews.Your right come the 3rd round winning percentage matters for the Wolves more than total points.The League needs to address this as 6 teams play 68 games,the other 24 play 76 games shenanigans.

FlexwithSkates wrote:we control our own destiny with 3 games to go.........
Do what you have to and deserve 1st place or shit the bed and earn an extra 2nd round game in GR
[/quote]

To be the best you have to beat the best.So if that means defeating the reigning AHL champion Cleveland Monsters in the first round so be it.Same goes for beating Grand Rapids who were champs in 2012-13.As long as you can get that extra home game & high win percentage for the 3rd round go for it.It might entail a really rough first round against Cleveland but that's what makes a Championship team.

Wolves fan for life

Postby butsyfan » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:47 am

The percentage is figured as followed...

Number of points earned divided by number of points available. The Wolves have played 73 games and earned 96 points. 73 x 2 points available equals 146. 96 divided by 146 equals .6575. Round3d up, you get the .658 percentage. Therefore, technically, you can tie in winning percentage.

The first tiebreaker is ROWs and that is usually the only tiebreaker needed
If it looks like a skunk, and it smells like a skunk..you can bet your ass it's a fucking skunk..My grandfather
Attack each day with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. ..Jack Harbaugh (Jim's Dad)

Wolves fan for life

Postby Goon1 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:45 pm

WolfKeeper wrote:It's based on winning percentage due to the teams out west that play fewer games.

Which is still bullshit. Every team should play the same amount of games. This is the feeder/development/AAA league for the NHL crying out loud, but the league has been run like a poor mans league..
Dirk, Lurxst, and Pratt

Veteran

Postby PaulyWolf » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:52 pm

We could devote an entire thread on whats wrong with the AHL & what A person would do if they ran the AHL for a day.
Grand Rapids just beat Charlotte tonight 4/12/17 in a shootout 2-1. So GR now has 96 points as well as the Wolves.

Return to On the Ice