The beginning of next affiliation?

Talk about the Chicago Wolves, the AHL, and hockey in general here. Off-topic? Head outside to the Great Outdoors.
Wolves fan for life

The beginning of next affiliation?

Postby warno » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:25 am

Wolves fan for life

Re: The beginning of next affiliation?

Postby Chiwolf » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:50 am

Where there is smoke...
I'm The Illest Motherf@cker From Here To Gardena

Veteran

Postby PaulyWolf » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:08 am

It's going to be the Blues loss and the Golden Knights gain if next year the Wolves affiliation is with Vegas.If St. Louis can't see that partnering with the Wolves has worked out well for them then well good luck with your next franchise if the AHL grants you a chance to purchase one or better luck having your AHL players spread thru-out the league between a few teams.The Wolves have been a well run organization thru their history and in their time in the AHL.

3rd Line Grinder

Postby FLSHBCK » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:11 am

Wolves fan for life

Postby Mike » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:26 am

Anyone have an idea why the Blues don't want to keep this affiliation going? They have to be happy with the coach. They have two players that are having career years now. The wolves are a class organization. I can't see a down side unless I'm missing something.
George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider."

Wolves fan for life

Postby Goon1 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:43 am

I can't wait to see him skate and what he can bring to the Wolves.
Dirk, Lurxst, and Pratt

Wolves fan for life

Postby nmuwildcat » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:55 am

Pretty sure it's not the Blues who have been actively courting another suitor the last two years.
There is no "D" in Karel Pilar.

Wolves fan for life

Postby Wolfwolf » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:05 pm

nmuwildcat wrote:Pretty sure it's not the Blues who have been actively courting another suitor the last two years.

Too bad the Wolves don't just apply to be the NHL's 32nd franchise that resolve scheduling problems upcoming.
WolfWolf

Wolves fan for life

Postby WolfBoy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:10 pm

nmuwildcat wrote:Pretty sure it's not the Blues who have been actively courting another suitor the last two years.

Wanna bet on that?
You miss 100% of the Shots you don't Take. - Gretzky

Wolves fan for life

Postby butsyfan » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:39 pm

WolfBoy wrote:

Wanna bet on that?

Wasn't it the Wolves front office that courted at least 3 teams last summer?? How many times did we hear about the meeting at O'Hare with Florida??? Come on man, you've been here long enough, you know not to believe all the bullshit this front office spreads. Seen any Blues broadcasts lately?? The praise they give the Wolves borders on the love the Hawks have for Rockford!!!

I've been extremely quiet about all this garbage for a reason. The Blues will most likely be elsewhere next year. The question we all must ask ourselves is what NHL team is going to join up with Vegas??? The devil you know may be better then the devil you don't. Look around, who's looking to get the new AHL team??? They might be co affiliate for a year. I've been told to look west for the Blues affiliate and don't look at St Louis. Too bad, the Blues have great prospects coming up.
If it looks like a skunk, and it smells like a skunk..you can bet your ass it's a fucking skunk..My grandfather
Attack each day with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. ..Jack Harbaugh (Jim's Dad)

Wolves fan for life

Postby WolfBoy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:35 pm

Wasn't it the Blues who were trying to revive the KC franchise, or the Peoria location?
You miss 100% of the Shots you don't Take. - Gretzky

Veteran

Postby PaulyWolf » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:42 pm

Yep.The Blues were looking at KC,for whatever reason that hasn't panned out.KC would be an ideal place for an AHL franchise.So would Peoria.It would give the Wolves better rivals than Charlotte or Manitoba.

Veteran

Postby PaulyWolf » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:48 pm

The only drawback not having the affiliation with the Blues & with Vegas is the majority of the Wolves players would be skating with an other franchise than the Wolves wherever St.Louis affiliates with.It's part of being an affiliate of an NHL club.I was sorry to see Copley get moved but Husso & Binnington have done well.

Wolves fan for life

Postby butsyfan » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:43 pm

WolfBoy wrote:Wasn't it the Blues who were trying to revive the KC franchise, or the Peoria location?

Once again, the Blues don't own an affiliate. Lord David Andrews has said no 31st franchise for 2017-2018 season. Blues either have to buy a franchise or affiliate with an established one. Don't believe all the KC hype. So I'm not sure how they revive any thing with out buying!!! Nobody is taking their franchise and moving it for St Louis.

Look, the team I heard that is the most interested in the 31st team is Colorado. They just are so dysfunctional, they can't get their shit together enough to get it done. And rumor is that the Spurs (Rampage owners) want out of the agreement with Colorado.

In the words of Chiwolf....where's there smoke....
If it looks like a skunk, and it smells like a skunk..you can bet your ass it's a fucking skunk..My grandfather
Attack each day with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. ..Jack Harbaugh (Jim's Dad)

Wolves fan for life

Postby chilly666 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:53 pm

Mike wrote:Anyone have an idea why the Blues don't want to keep this affiliation going? They have to be happy with the coach. They have two players that are having career years now. The wolves are a class organization. I can't see a down side unless I'm missing something.

it's they're hand picked coach. so anything good or bad falls on them this season for seemingly the first time in this affiliation.

WolfBoy wrote:Wanna bet on that?

both teams have been searching for new partners the past couple offseasons.

Wolves fan for life

Postby Mike » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:20 am

What do we all think about the Wolves wanting an affiliation with a team outside the Hawks division? The thinking is that maybe the local fans might not feel like they are rooting for the Blues when they are at a Wolves game. Just a thought.
George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider."

Wolves fan for life

Postby nmuwildcat » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:48 am

Mike wrote:What do we all think about the Wolves wanting an affiliation with a team outside the Hawks division? The thinking is that maybe the local fans might not feel like they are rooting for the Blues when they are at a Wolves game. Just a thought.

It harkens back to the Thrashers affiliation days where some Wolves fans who also like/root for the Blackhawks don't feel guilty for cheering for the Wolves.

The last two affiliations certainly did rile up the Blackhawks bandwagon into loathing the Wolves.

No matter who the Wolves affiliation is with, there will still be groups of casual ticket buyers who:
1) think the Wolves are affiliated with the Blackhawks, even when playing games against Rockford,
2) are only fans of the Blackhawks are will only attend Rockford games to root against the Wolves.

Personally, I have enjoyed the last two affiliations especially the Blues affiliation.

Veteran

Postby PaulyWolf » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:02 pm

Mike wrote:What do we all think about the Wolves wanting an affiliation with a team outside the Hawks division? The thinking is that maybe the local fans might not feel like they are rooting for the Blues when they are at a Wolves game. Just a thought.

That's why I think an affiliation with Las Vegas is a good fit for both sides.I never understood the pettiness of hockey fans from the Chicago area who would root against the Wolves only because the Wolves were associated with the Blues.And to root for the IceHogs just because the Blackhawks are associated with them.Now if your a Hawks fan and live in Rockford or north of there root for whomever you want.Heck root for the Admirals if you want.
nmuwildcat wrote:
The last two affiliations certainly did rile up the Blackhawks bandwagon into loathing the Wolves.

No matter who the Wolves affiliation is with, there will still be groups of casual ticket buyers who:
1) think the Wolves are affiliated with the Blackhawks, even when playing games against Rockford,
2) are only fans of the Blackhawks are will only attend Rockford games to root against the Wolves.

Personally, I have enjoyed the last two affiliations especially the Blues affiliation.

Same here. The Wolves are definitely looking like an attractive affiliate to whomever courts them

Wolves fan for life

Postby Mike » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:27 pm

I have a wolves coffee cup at work. A guy keeps asking me when I'm going to switch to an ice hogs fan. I keep telling him that the Wolves are a Chicago team and therfore the team I'll root for.
I don't have an issue rooting for a wolves player when he is here and an ice hogs player when he is with the Hawks.

Mr. Beer Snob

Postby WolfKeeper » Fri May 05, 2017 3:47 pm

It was mentioned today during an interview that the Las Vegas GM said it's looking like they will share a team next season.

So maybe STL ain't going anywhere yet.
"There's nothing important in there." -- AHL referee Ghislain Hebert on the AHL rulebook.

Veteran

Postby PaulyWolf » Fri May 05, 2017 7:08 pm

[quote="WolfKeeper"]It was mentioned today during an interview that the Las Vegas GM said it's looking like they will share a team next.

That could be interesting as butsyfan mentioned St Louis was looking west and San Antonio and Colorado might part ways.A St Louis/San Antonio affiliation could open up a Las Vegas/Colorado shared affiliation with the Wolves.Guess we'll see.

Wolves fan for life

Postby CheapSeats » Sat May 06, 2017 7:55 am

Ok, stay with me 'cause I am not sure how to express this but as I understand the expansion draft Vegas picks one player from each team but because each team gets to protect six forwards they are picking from the best of the bottom six forwards or bottom three defensemen on each team. Assuming Vegas takes 2 goalies that means they will pick 28 skaters who were number seven forwards (if there is such a thing) or number four defensemen.

If they keep twenty-three on their active roster that means there will be five players who will need to be sent to the minors who were playing as a number 7 forward of number 4 defenseman in the NHL that will be with the Vegas Affiliate.

I understand it will get more complicated because teams will look to protect their best prospects instead of players and Vegas may draft prospects with better upside rather than pick best current players but either way, it seems the Vegas affiliate should be getting =/- 5 pretty good players.
I hate thundersticks.

Wolves fan for life

Postby warno » Mon May 08, 2017 11:39 am

CheapSeats wrote:Ok, stay with me 'cause I am not sure how to express this but as I understand the expansion draft Vegas picks one player from each team but because each team gets to protect six forwards they are picking from the best of the bottom six forwards or bottom three defensemen on each team. Assuming Vegas takes 2 goalies that means they will pick 28 skaters who were number seven forwards (if there is such a thing) or number four defensemen.

If they keep twenty-three on their active roster that means there will be five players who will need to be sent to the minors who were playing as a number 7 forward of number 4 defenseman in the NHL that will be with the Vegas Affiliate.

I understand it will get more complicated because teams will look to protect their best prospects instead of players and Vegas may draft prospects with better upside rather than pick best current players but either way, it seems the Vegas affiliate should be getting =/- 5 pretty good players.

How does it work with the goalies? Can they pick more than 2 in the expansion draft?

Wolves fan for life

Postby nmuwildcat » Mon May 08, 2017 12:13 pm

Yes. They must pick a minimum of 14 forwards, 9 defensemen, 3 goalies. (26 players for those keeping track at home). And they must also select one player from *each* NHL team for a total of 30 players.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansion- ... -281010592

Wolves fan for life

Postby warno » Mon May 08, 2017 2:28 pm

Thanks for the link.

I did see that Vegas gets a 3 day exclusive window to negotiate and sign free agents ahead of the usual July 1st opening of free agent season. The language is as follows:

From June 18-20, Vegas will have a chance to sign any restricted or unrestricted free agent left unprotected by his team for the NHL Expansion Draft, NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said. These free agents would not otherwise be allowed to sign with a team different than the one they played for this season until July 1.

If Vegas signs a free agent from any team, that would count as their expansion draft pick from that team. So if Vegas signs Joe Thornton, that's their pick from San Jose. After the 20th, then Vegas just competes with the other 30 clubs for free agents when the market opens on July 1st.

I wonder if any team would take the risk of using a protected spot on a free agent to save him from the exclusivity window and the expansion draft on the 21st in hopes of signing him before July 1.

Return to On the Ice