Register

Levin + Seattle NHL Team = Can't Ignore the Smoke

Talk about the Chicago Wolves, the AHL, and hockey in general here. Off-topic? Head outside to the Great Outdoors.
Wolves fan for life

Re: Levin + Seattle NHL Team = Can't Ignore the Smoke

Postby warno » Thu May 22, 2014 8:26 am

nmuwildcat wrote:Bumping this thread because there has been some media driven discussion about NHL expansion into Seattle, but someone's name has been missing from the discussion.

And according to this article, Don Levin is "“tired of chasing circles,” and gave up actively pursuing a team in Seattle because there was no response from the NHL."

So while there certainly was smoke, and a potential fire to the truth; a wet blanket named Gary Bettman snuffed out Levin's ownership pursuit.

I'm sure Levin is frustrated but the number of potential owners for an expansion team is a pretty short list IMO. Levin might've just been the victim of some bad timing with the CBA situation and then Phoenix ownership up in the air for a long time so the NHL's attention was focused elsewhere. My guess is if/when the expansion talk heats up, Bettman will be courting Levin pretty hard as I doubt he would find a better guy with more passion, commitment, track record, and resources than Levin to run an NHL team in a new market.

Wolves fan for life

Postby Howler1 » Thu May 22, 2014 6:53 pm

I think Don may have wanted this to happen much sooner rather than later. I don't think the NHL is ready yet. Though for a sport that has not been on the American consciousness all that long it is making huge strides. Expansion one way or another will happen soon I think.
Lies, Greed, Racism and Fear... The Republican Way!

Wolves fan for life

Postby Mike » Fri May 23, 2014 8:13 am

Howler1 wrote:...... Expansion one way or another will happen soon I think.

God I hope not. The NHL is just getting it's legs under it from the last expansion. I would much rather see some of the weaker teams move to better venues then an expansion.
George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider."

Wolves fan for life

Postby warno » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:29 am

warno wrote:
nmuwildcat wrote:Bumping this thread because there has been some media driven discussion about NHL expansion into Seattle, but someone's name has been missing from the discussion.

And according to this article, Don Levin is "“tired of chasing circles,” and gave up actively pursuing a team in Seattle because there was no response from the NHL."
So while there certainly was smoke, and a potential fire to the truth; a wet blanket named Gary Bettman snuffed out Levin's ownership pursuit.

I'm sure Levin is frustrated but the number of potential owners for an expansion team is a pretty short list IMO. Levin might've just been the victim of some bad timing with the CBA situation and then Phoenix ownership up in the air for a long time so the NHL's attention was focused elsewhere. My guess is if/when the expansion talk heats up, Bettman will be courting Levin pretty hard as I doubt he would find a better guy with more passion, commitment, track record, and resources than Levin to run an NHL team in a new market.

No mention of Levin. I guess he's out for real...

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/is-the-nhl-destined-for-seattle-potential-owner-calls-it-the-perfect-match/

Wolves fan for life

Postby warno » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:28 am

Previous

Return to On the Ice