Levin + Seattle NHL Team = Can't Ignore the Smoke

Talk about the Chicago Wolves, the AHL, and hockey in general here. Off-topic? Head outside to the Great Outdoors.
Wolves fan for life

Levin + Seattle NHL Team = Can't Ignore the Smoke

Postby nmuwildcat » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:26 pm

New blurb from Puck Daddy:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_d ... um=twitter

The NHL has confirmed talks with a prospective ownership group in Seattle. Local lawmakers have been working to fund a new arena. The Key is the key: Seattle's current arena, Key Arena, isn't very hockey friendly for an NHL team.
Writes Friedman:
The footprint is too small, featuring the same issues the Coyotes faced before the beautiful Glendale arena was built. They played at America West Arena, home of the NBA's Phoenix Suns, and there were many obstructed seats.
Don Levin, owner of the American Hockey League's Chicago Wolves, wants this franchise. And the NHL likes him.
It makes sense for a basketball and a hockey team to share an arena. However, word is that talks between Levin and the potential NBA ownership group about a facility partnership recently fell apart. Can it be repaired? "These things are off and on and then on, etc. Hard to say if it is dead forever," said one source.

There's too much smoke with a Seattle bid to ignore it as an option. It's been a city interested in the NHL on several occasions in the last 20 years. The Pacific Northwest is seen as fertile ground for the League — recall Paul Allen wanting to bring the Coyotes to Portland in 2000.
There is no "D" in Karel Pilar.

Veteran

Re: Levin + Seattle NHL Team = Can't Ignore the Smoke

Postby BabyIzzo » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:21 pm

Haven't been paying attention really to this. What would that mean for us? New ownership? relocation? or an affiliation with the Seattle NHL team.

Veteran

Postby avelanch » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:54 am

BabyIzzo wrote:Haven't been paying attention really to this. What would that mean for us? New ownership? relocation? or an affiliation with the Seattle NHL team.

the latter, just like the st. johns Ice caps and the winnipeg jets.

Corporal Obvious

Postby gruberted » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:49 am

I was going to blog about this but this won't happen.

Last September Levin visited and I talked to some people in Seattle that weren't impressed with his proposal.

Unless he buys the team keeps them in Phoenix while building an arena in Seattle it won't happen.

My guess Coyotes move to Quebec City.
09-20

Wolves fan for life

Postby Dri2nk1Be5er » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:56 am

The Levin buying the Coyotes came up on Eliotte Friedmann's segment during the second period of the Jets/Leafs, Hockey Night in Canada broadcast. Seattle would make a nice natural rival for Vancouver, and I could see us filling the role of the SEA AHL affiliate.

Considering that Levin was in the running a year or two ago to buy the cubs, I am sure the NHL would love to welcome him to the fraternity. I personally would like to see PHX make the jump to Quebec City, but it sounds like there are many political complications still clouding that picture.

Friedmann's segment also mentioned KC and Vegas as potential relocation cities. As of New Year's Day 2012, the NHL is now free to negotiate with any city to get a deal with the Coyotes completed.

Wolves fan for life

Postby CheapSeats » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:50 pm

I do not believe Levin was ever a serious contender to purchase the Cubs.... he wanted to make money.
I hate thundersticks.

Mr. Beer Snob

Postby WolfKeeper » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:54 pm

"There's nothing important in there." -- AHL referee Ghislain Hebert on the AHL rulebook.

Captain of the Gravy Train

Postby Alvious » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:33 am

I think Portland would be a better NHL market than Seattle. They already have a quality arena and there are less pro teams to compete with.
Bring your champions, they're our meat!

Mr Whiny Homer IHL Bitch
Location: Volo (Yeah the place with that car museum that I've never been to!)

Postby TIMMY » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:03 am

Hmmmmmm

If this did happen, I cant see Levin keeping his AHL franchise in Chicago, there are enough secondary markets in the Pacific Northwest that could support an AHL team, and when you tie that in with the story last fall about Western conference owners meeting with Bettman to discuss an AHL overhaul to get affiliates closer, this gives them a little more leverage. You could potentially have an AHL western division with Abbotsford, a few teams in Washington or Oregon and a few northern California teams.

A few hours in a car is a hell of a lot cheaper a flight from Chicago to Seattle. Don is a businessman first and foremost. Loyalties to Chicago aside, money talks.
"Work is the curse of the drinking classes"

Corporal Obvious

Postby gruberted » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:23 am

Or he sells the team Timmy? I know there at least 4 people with stake in the team.

I still think he makes money with the Wolves and could sell it to somebody cough Hawks cough and keep all 3 teams up and down 90.
09-20

Veteran

Postby vanuck » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:25 am

Man I'd love for there to be a team in Seattle!

Wolves fan for life

Postby CheapSeats » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:30 pm

Sunday during one of the commercial breaks they had a Where is Skates contest. They showed a picture of Skates in Front of the Seattle Space needle. Is there a message there?
I hate thundersticks.

Wolves fan for life

Postby Wolfwolf » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:57 pm

CheapSeats wrote:Sunday during one of the commercial breaks they had a Where is Skates contest. They showed a picture of Skates in Front of the Seattle Space needle. Is there a message there?

Coyotes turn into Wolves in 2012
WolfWolf

Wolves fan for life

Postby Dri2nk1Be5er » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:52 pm

TIMMY wrote:Hmmmmmm

If this did happen, I cant see Levin keeping his AHL franchise in Chicago, there are enough secondary markets in the Pacific Northwest that could support an AHL team, and when you tie that in with the story last fall about Western conference owners meeting with Bettman to discuss an AHL overhaul to get affiliates closer, this gives them a little more leverage. You could potentially have an AHL western division with Abbotsford, a few teams in Washington or Oregon and a few northern California teams.

A few hours in a car is a hell of a lot cheaper a flight from Chicago to Seattle. Don is a businessman first and foremost. Loyalties to Chicago aside, money talks.

Timmy, I dont understand the doom and gloom here. Wolves ownership has continously given fans reasons to expect the cream of the crop down in the AHL. I find it unlikey that Levin is chomping at the bit to close down the Wolves any time soon. Levin and his partners have put 17 years of financing and passion into this organization.

If the Don can buy the Yotes and move them to SEA I can see him teaming up with the Wolves for an AHL affiliate. Currently the Wolves are affiliated with an affiliate that is a four hour plane ride from home. There are some teams that have affiliates even further away.

Remember the advantage of having a close by affiliate is not all that it is cracked up to be. Think about it, there are 41 games that the NHL team is on the road, and 40 that the AHL team is on the road. There is no rhyme or reason, the circumstance that both teams are at home at the same time is not a scenario that happens as often as one would think.

As a side note to Levin, us old timers might remember the Don buying a majority share in the IHL San Antonio Dragons. That team had its troubles, but the commitment to the Wolves was never in doubt and history of the fate of the two teams proves this to be true.

Wolves fan for life

Postby Mike » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:05 pm

+ with your affiliate in Chicago (a major hub) you can just hop on an airplane and be anywhere in the US in a few hours. Just saying
George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider."

Wolves fan for life

Postby wanker751 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:45 pm

I was just thinking and have no real reason for or against... but why is Milwaukee never considered for an NHL team?

Although I think going to a city without NBA to distract attention is best for expansion...

Wolves fan for life

Postby Chiwolf » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:43 pm

wanker751 wrote:I was just thinking and have no real reason for or against... but why is Milwaukee never considered for an NHL team?

Although I think going to a city without NBA to distract attention is best for expansion...

It's just the Bucks, it's not like it's a real NBA team :lol:
I'm The Illest Motherf@cker From Here To Gardena

Wolves fan for life

Postby butsyfan » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:55 pm

Here is a story that ran Sunday in Seattle. I did get a heads up on this so I thought I would share. The article starts off with NBA and then they get to the NHL in the second part. Looks like Levin isn't the only one looking to get this done!!!

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... na05m.html
If it looks like a skunk, and it smells like a skunk..you can bet your ass it's a fucking skunk..My grandfather
Attack each day with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. ..Jack Harbaugh (Jim's Dad)

Veteran

Postby avelanch » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:32 pm

One might think Christopher Hansen might be looking to Levin to own the NHL franchise, and the Hansen would own the NBA, and the two would both own the building (or be part owners in the building).

Mr Whiny Homer IHL Bitch
Location: Volo (Yeah the place with that car museum that I've never been to!)

Postby TIMMY » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:55 pm

wanker751 wrote:I was just thinking and have no real reason for or against... but why is Milwaukee never considered for an NHL team?

I think they were, but Dollar Bill used his clout many years ago to make sure it never happened.
"Work is the curse of the drinking classes"

Wolves fan for life

Postby butsyfan » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:34 am

Looks like Seattle has their new arena!!!

http://www.king5.com/news/New-Seattle-a ... 07008.html
If it looks like a skunk, and it smells like a skunk..you can bet your ass it's a fucking skunk..My grandfather
Attack each day with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. ..Jack Harbaugh (Jim's Dad)

Wolves fan for life

Postby nmuwildcat » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:50 am

I couldn't see from my end of the ice, but was Levin missing from the game last night?

(Yes, I know that he's not at every single game. The coincidence was just funny though)

Veteran

Postby avelanch » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:58 am

rumour has it that the parner is McCaw (former part owner of the Canucks until 2006) and not levin. we'll find out later today.

4th Line Goon

Postby Homegrownnugly » Wed May 16, 2012 6:07 pm

Wolves fan for life

Postby wanker751 » Wed May 16, 2012 9:21 pm

Homegrownnugly wrote:http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/agreement-reached-on-seattle-arena-plan-051612

More smoke.

Seems to me the smoke is they are ready and willing to move on without an NHL team going there than anything else...

Wolves fan for life

Postby warno » Thu May 17, 2012 7:58 am

wanker751 wrote:
Homegrownnugly wrote:http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/agreement-reached-on-seattle-arena-plan-051612

More smoke.

Seems to me the smoke is they are ready and willing to move on without an NHL team going there than anything else...

Assuming the Phoenix new ownership deal is solid, what other potential teams could be potential move targets? Columbus maybe? If the NHL is going to wind up in Seattle (or return to Quebec City for that matter), it's looking more and more like it will have to involve expansion instead of relocation.

Wolves fan for life

Postby nmuwildcat » Thu May 17, 2012 8:08 am

warno wrote:
wanker751 wrote:

More smoke.

Assuming the Phoenix new ownership deal is solid, what other potential teams could be potential move targets? Columbus maybe? If the NHL is going to wind up in Seattle (or return to Quebec City for that matter), it's looking more and more like it will have to involve expansion instead of relocation.

I posted this over in the Icecaps thread:
From everything I've seen, Greg Jamison is just the front man, and needs some deep pockets behind him to make it work. And, he still needs to work out lease agreements with the City of Glendale, otherwise the deal is off unless there is an agreement that if things fail they can move the franchise.

It's not a done deal yet with Jamison and Phoenix.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mark-purdy/c ... on-leading

Florida has been mentioned over on Hockey's Future only because they're "operating in the red," and the morons on that forum forget that the Panthers are set up like the Blackhawks: The ownership group is invested in multiple items along with the arena, and profits from a couple parts pay for expenses from the hockey team.

New Jersey has ownership troubles (the NHL had to front them the yearly check a few months early), but I doubt they move.

The Islanders need a building but a stubborn owner who won't let them go. The Bluejackets are such a mess of an organization that I don't think anyone wants them (ATL 2.0, but without the owner squabbles).

Glendale still needs to somehow coerce the Coyotes to stay without subsidizing it.

AND to top it off, the NHL has let the NHLPA know that the current CBA agreed upon in 2005 is expiring at the end of the season. Movement of where they Coyotes go (and how ATL moved so quick) is likely a hot topic with the NHLPA.

Wolves fan for life

Postby Howler1 » Thu May 17, 2012 8:33 am

I really don't see expansion as it seems every year the topic of contraction rolls around. As far as the NHLPA is concernerned what do they care where a team is located as long as the player rosters remain large and the guys get paid.
Lies, Greed, Racism and Fear... The Republican Way!

Wolves fan for life

Postby nmuwildcat » Thu May 17, 2012 8:47 am

Howler1 wrote:As far as the NHLPA is concernerned what do they care where a team is located as long as the player rosters remain large and the guys get paid.

The NHLPA shot down the re-alignment plan because of travel concerns making it unfair for some of their players.

Wolves fan for life

Postby Howler1 » Thu May 17, 2012 1:15 pm

nmuwildcat wrote:
Howler1 wrote:As far as the NHLPA is concernerned what do they care where a team is located as long as the player rosters remain large and the guys get paid.

The NHLPA shot down the re-alignment plan because of travel concerns making it unfair for some of their players.

That's abuse of power...unfair to some of their players? If i'm an owner I'd find out who squaked and send them to...Edmonton or some other bottom dwelling club.
Lies, Greed, Racism and Fear... The Republican Way!

Wolves fan for life

Postby nmuwildcat » Thu May 17, 2012 4:19 pm

Howler1 wrote:That's abuse of power...unfair to some of their players? If i'm an owner I'd find out who squaked and send them to...Edmonton or some other bottom dwelling club.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... 26165.html
What we really didn't know about the NHL's radical realignment plan, until the NHLPA and executive director Donald Fehr's rejection of it: That it was a grandiose power play against the players, as Gary Bettman pushed Fehr for the first time and Fehr responded with a left hook that made the fight fans gasp.
From the NHL:
The National Hockey League announced today that it will not move forward with implementation of the realignment plan and modified playoff format recently approved by the NHL Board of Governors for the 2012-13 NHL season because the NHLPA has refused to provide its consent.
"It is unfortunate that the NHLPA has unreasonably refused to approve a plan that an overwhelming majority of our clubs voted to support, and that has received such widespread support from our fans and other members of the hockey community, including players," said NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly. "We have now spent the better part of four weeks attempting to satisfy the NHLPA's purported concerns with the plan with no success. Because we have already been forced to delay, and as a result are already late in beginning the process of preparing next season's schedule, we have no choice but to abandon our intention to implement the realignment plan and modified playoff format for next season."
"We believe the union acted unreasonably in violation of the league's rights. We intend to evaluate all of our available legal options and to pursue adequate remedies, as appropriate."
As a result of the league's decision today, the NHL will maintain its current alignment and playoff format for the 2012-13 season.

So why did the NHLPA refuse to endorse this plan, besides a clear disregard for the league's rights (OK then)? Simple: They felt realignment was unfair and inconsiderate to the players; they weren't given a chance, in their eyes, to help create it; and it communicated that the NHLPA isn't going to be shoved around now or during the CBA talks.

The CBA fight this summer will be interesting to watch. It needs to be NFL-esque in quickness; anything like the NBA's fight or the NHL 2004 lockout will be disastrous for the big strides that have been made in gaining fans the last few seasons.

Wolves fan for life

Postby wanker751 » Thu May 17, 2012 6:07 pm

Howler1 wrote:
nmuwildcat wrote:

That's abuse of power...unfair to some of their players? If i'm an owner I'd find out who squaked and send them to...Edmonton or some other bottom dwelling club.

The PA was allowed to do so per the contract. THey wanted more figures from league which they wouldn't couldn't get in time according to the CBA...

Wolves fan for life

Postby nmuwildcat » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:57 pm

Latest rumor: Abbotsford is moving to Utica for next season. No word on who fills the Heat's void, but some not-so-in touch NHL writers feel the Wolves are gone and moving.

I can't see Levin up and moving the Wolves, nor can I see him selling the franchise just to buy an NHL team to need an AHL affiliate.

What's happening to the Wolves?

Mr. Beer Snob

Postby WolfKeeper » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:23 pm

I'm voting they stay put. I'm betting the AHL says "yeah enough of that west coast nonsense" for awhile.
"There's nothing important in there." -- AHL referee Ghislain Hebert on the AHL rulebook.

Wolves fan for life

Postby FlexwithSkates » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:11 pm

What size Jersey do you think Kurt Cobain would need to fit over his head.......oh wait, nevermind
Shut the fuck up, Donny. ....you're out of your fucking element!

Wolves fan for life

Postby FlexwithSkates » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:13 pm

With the Wolves consistently in the top five in attendence, they stay in the AA, affiliated with someone. A market drawing half of what the Wolves are can move west......
Shut the fuck up, Donny. ....you're out of your fucking element!

Wolves fan for life

Postby warno » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:49 pm

From KING5.com..the latest coming out of the whole Phoenix clusterf--- regarding the Yotes potential move to Seattle.

Seattle City Councilmember Tim Burgess said Sunday he met with Lanza and Bartoszek a couple of weeks ago in Seattle. He said the duo was "optimistic and positive" about Seattle. Burgess also said he believed a tentative deal had been reached on a lease agreement so an NHL team could play at the Key this fall. Burgess said oft-mentioned Chicago investor Don Levin was not a part of the delegation which met with city leaders.

Wolves fan for life

Postby Wolfwolf » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:33 am

warno wrote:From KING5.com..the latest coming out of the whole Phoenix clusterf--- regarding the Yotes potential move to Seattle.

Seattle City Councilmember Tim Burgess said Sunday he met with Lanza and Bartoszek a couple of weeks ago in Seattle. He said the duo was "optimistic and positive" about Seattle. Burgess also said he believed a tentative deal had been reached on a lease agreement so an NHL team could play at the Key this fall. Burgess said oft-mentioned Chicago investor Don Levin was not a part of the delegation which met with city leaders.

I was told last year that after reviewing The Coyotes' financials a while ago, Don Levin wanted no part of a Coyotes' purchase because of the heavy debt load that comes with it. Of course that may change IF the NHL takes part of the debt away.
WolfWolf

Wolves fan for life

Postby warno » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:54 am

Well its settled...for now

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2013/07/coyotes-saga-finally-ends-with-team-staying-in-arizona.html

Seattle still needs to build the new arena anyway. Timing might be better for the move in 5 years.

Wolves fan for life

Postby nmuwildcat » Wed May 21, 2014 9:19 pm

Bumping this thread because there has been some media driven discussion about NHL expansion into Seattle, but someone's name has been missing from the discussion.

And according to this article, Don Levin is "“tired of chasing circles,” and gave up actively pursuing a team in Seattle because there was no response from the NHL."

So while there certainly was smoke, and a potential fire to the truth; a wet blanket named Gary Bettman snuffed out Levin's ownership pursuit.

Next

Return to On the Ice