Register

Bye-Bye Quenneville

Talk about the Chicago Wolves, the AHL, and hockey in general here. Off-topic? Head outside to the Great Outdoors.
Wolves fan for life

Bye-Bye Quenneville

Postby Goon1 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:18 am

The Chicago Blackhawks fired coach Joel Quenneville on Tuesday.

Quenneville, who won three Stanley Cups with the Blackhawks, had been with the team since 2008 and was the longest-tenured coach in the NHL. He is the second-winningest coach in NHL history, compiling 890 wins with St. Louis, Colorado and Chicago; only Scotty Bowman (1,244) has more.

Chicago promoted its AHL coach, Jeremy Colliton, 33, who becomes the youngest head coach in the NHL.

Owner Rocky Wirtz released a statement saying the team parted with Quenneville with his "full support."

"As Chicago Blackhawks fans have seen over the last decade, this organization no longer shies away from making tough decisions or ones based on emotion," Wirtz's statement read. "Those days are long behind us. Of course, Joel's was difficult, as it should have been. During his tenure as head coach to the Chicago Blackhawks, Joel brought the city of Chicago and our fans three Stanley Cups and an incredible era of hockey."

Last season, the Blackhawks missed the playoffs for the first time in a decade. They were without starting goaltender Corey Crawford for most of the season. Crawford returned this season but the Blackhawks are 6-6-3, the second-worst record in the Central Division. After a quick start, they've taken only one of a possible 10 points.

The Blackhawks also fired assistant coaches Kevin Dineen and Ulf Samuelsson. Barry Smith, 66, was named an assistant coach on Colliton's staff.

"This is certainly a very difficult decision," general manager Stan Bowman said in a statement. "But I believe it is in the best interests of the Blackhawks organization. We need to maximize each and every opportunity with our playoff goals in mind and create continued growth and development throughout our roster at the same time. After much deliberation the last several days, with great respect to what Joel has meant to the Blackhawks, we knew we had to make a change.

"Along with our appreciation for everything Joel has accomplished for our franchise, we also thank Kevin and Ulf for their many contributions and wish them success in the future."

Last season, there were no in-season coaching changes in the NHL for the first time since the Original Six expansion. Quenneville's departure marks the second firing in a week. The Los Angeles Kings fired John Stevens over the weekend, replacing him with Willie Desjardins.

Colliton was in his second season as the Rockford Ice Hogs head coach, the top affiliate of the Blackhawks. Rockford made it to its first AHL Western Conference finals last season.

Prior to joining the Blackhawks organization, Colliton spent four seasons as the head coach of Mora IK in Sweden (HockeyAllsvenskan).

Colliton was a second-round pick (58th overall) of the New York Islanders in the 2003 NHL draft. He appeared in 57 NHL games across five seasons with the Islanders, recording three goals and three assists.
Dirk, Lurxst, and Pratt

Wolves fan for life

Re: Bye-Bye Quenneville

Postby Howler1 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:28 pm

I don't see this as being an answer to the BH problems.
Lies, Greed, Racism and Fear... The Republican Way!

Wolves fan for life

Postby warno » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:03 am

While Q is well known for a low tolerance for Dmen who don't pick up the Hawks system right away, he can only play the guys that Bowman gets. Also, years of winning means drafting lower and then trading 1st round picks for deadline deals also diminishes the talent level coming through the system. The Hawks got a nice return for that approach for years but now its time to pay the piper. When the team's not going well, change starts from the bottom up. A few years of turnover of the assistant coaches didn't work so now it moves up to the head coach level. If this doesn't work, Bowman's next.

4th Line Goon

Postby Altmike » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:08 pm

Ya Bowman has not shown that he can keep a team at the top. Most of the guys that got him there were drafted from Talon. I'm not sure if anyone can do this but I think you are correct Steve Bowman is next.

I'm surprised the Hawks went with a young coach like this. It will be interesting to see how the players respond to him. Usually you make this kind of move when you are doing a rebuild from the ground up. If this dosen't work will we see a dumping of contracts(The ones that they can) for draft picks?

Wolves fan for life

Postby chilly666 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:47 pm

Altmike wrote:If this dosen't work will we see a dumping of contracts(The ones that they can) for draft picks?

unfortunately there are so many with trade or movement clauses that it's going to be very hard to fix this team that way.

who's going to want seabrook?
would you want to take a chance on crawford with his recent history of head injuries?
anisimov might be able to be moved, but what will you really get back for a $4.5+ million/yr 3rd line enigma?
would they actually think of trading keith? i doubt it, but he might get the most back (don't look at erik karlsson trade cause the sens got taken to town by the sharks in that deal).

the hawks are up a creek without a paddle for years to come.

Wolves fan for life

Postby warno » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:58 am

There isn't much top end talent in Rockford that can replace the aging core of vets so if they were realistic, it's time to start the rebuild but publicly anyway, McD and Stan still think this team has a shot (I don't) so are they going to commit to that route?

Trading vets for picks is one way to do it but for the guys with no movement clauses, it comes down to how comfortable they are with what they already have done career-wise and if they feel like moving their families. Money is probably not an issue.

Wolves fan for life

Postby WolfBoy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:28 pm

Being a casual Hawks fan, it's amazes me how Stan is invincible. He continues to make bonehead trades & get away with it (too many to list). The only tradeable piece they have at this point is Kane (to get any value in return) & they'll never move him. You could have moved Crawford before he had the concussion issues, that was the only other piece that had value in my book.
You miss 100% of the Shots you don't Take. - Gretzky

Wolves fan for life

Postby warno » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:42 am

WolfBoy wrote:Being a casual Hawks fan, it's amazes me how Stan is invincible. He continues to make bonehead trades & get away with it (too many to list). The only tradeable piece they have at this point is Kane (to get any value in return) & they'll never move him. You could have moved Crawford before he had the concussion issues, that was the only other piece that had value in my book.

I'm sure Stan's job security has something to do with Scotty's role as an adviser. Scotty Bowman is probably one on the most brilliant hockey minds in the game and I'm sure a share of the Hawks success has some of his fingerprints on it. Everywhere he's gone, teams have won. Fire Stan and piss Scotty off? Probably not something the Hawks want to do but if this trend of diminishing returns continues, it may have to happen.

Return to On the Ice