Register

Its official

Talk about the Chicago Wolves, the AHL, and hockey in general here. Off-topic? Head outside to the Great Outdoors.
Wolves fan for life

Its official

Postby warno » Tue May 16, 2017 12:35 pm

Letter to the STHs....Wolves sign on with Vegas

We are excited to be the ones who get to break the news that the Chicago Wolves have formed a new partnership with the Vegas Golden Knights.

We have signed a multi-year contract to work together with the NHL's expansion franchise that starts play next season. It's a terrific opportunity for the Wolves because Vegas general manager George McPhee and his staff believe in the same things we do - particularly that winning is a crucial aspect of player development. As a matter of fact, it is written into the partnership agreement that the goal is to win championships at the AHL level.

Mr. Beer Snob

Re: Its official

Postby WolfKeeper » Tue May 16, 2017 12:38 pm

Wonder where the Blues will land...
"There's nothing important in there." -- AHL referee Ghislain Hebert on the AHL rulebook.

Wolves fan for life

Postby WolfBoy » Tue May 16, 2017 12:41 pm

Didn't see anything listed as a split, perhaps more to come.
You miss 100% of the Shots you don't Take. - Gretzky

Wolves fan for life

Postby warno » Tue May 16, 2017 12:52 pm

Does this mean the fireworks music will change from Kickstart My Heart to Viva Las Vegas? :lol:

Mr. Beer Snob

Postby WolfKeeper » Tue May 16, 2017 1:13 pm

Someone posted a quote from STL that says they're gonna partner with Vegas? What a strange way of saying dual affiliation...
"There's nothing important in there." -- AHL referee Ghislain Hebert on the AHL rulebook.

Wolves fan for life

Postby Howler1 » Tue May 16, 2017 1:21 pm

Should be interesting. Will probably see fewer Wolves signings as a result
Lies, Greed, Racism and Fear... The Republican Way!

Wolves fan for life

Postby butsyfan » Tue May 16, 2017 1:24 pm

WolfKeeper wrote:Someone posted a quote from STL that says they're gonna partner with Vegas? What a strange way of saying dual affiliation...

https://www.nhl.com/blues/news/armstron ... -289468858
If it looks like a skunk, and it smells like a skunk..you can bet your ass it's a fucking skunk..My grandfather
Attack each day with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. ..Jack Harbaugh (Jim's Dad)

Wolves fan for life

Postby Goon1 » Tue May 16, 2017 1:29 pm

"The St. Louis Blues will not renew their primary affiliation with the AHL's Chicago Wolves past the 2016-17 season. We will associate with the Vegas Golden Knights and supply players to the Golden Knights' AHL affiliate next season."

So basically they are just going to supply the players to the Chicago Wolves but through the Knights? So does that mean they are going to "loan" players to the Knights and the Knights will assign them to Chicago? I wonder if there is a cost savings measure in place for going that route. Why not just say a dual affiliation with Chicago?
Dirk, Lurxst, and Pratt

Mr. Beer Snob

Postby WolfKeeper » Tue May 16, 2017 1:58 pm

Who's going to coach them?

Sounds like they're keeping Yeo in STL, but they just dumped his assistants...

Wolves fan for life

Postby WolfBoy » Tue May 16, 2017 2:08 pm

So it's as clear as mud as to how that would work;

"We will associate with the Vegas Golden Knights and supply players to the Golden Knights' AHL affiliate next season."

but it doesn't define anything, if we are the primary affiliate of Vegas, then I would think that we would get mostly their players, I guess stay tuned?
You miss 100% of the Shots you don't Take. - Gretzky

Mr. Beer Snob

Postby WolfKeeper » Tue May 16, 2017 2:28 pm

I think it's a nice way of saying there's a business agreement in place :pop:

4th Line Goon

Postby Don_Waddell » Tue May 16, 2017 3:01 pm

Maybe it's time to give up the "independent" operations guise. Wendell can do community relations and the Wolves can be the Iowa Chops/Stars/Wild. How involved are Don and Buddy these days anyway?

For McPhee, it’s a chance to develop the organization’s on-ice philosophy with its top minor league club. The Knights will hire the Wolves coaching and hockey operations staff. The marketing, public relations and sales staff will remain under control of Wolves owner Don Levin.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/golden-knights-nhl/golden-knights-ahl-affiliate-to-be-chicago-wolves/

“We’re in a good place with our (AHL) club,” he said. “We’re going to a market with a good hockey history and a team which has been winning. We’ll have full authority over all hockey matters. We’ll supply the coaches and many of the players. It’s all about development and winning.”

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/golden-knights-nhl/golden-knights-gm-george-mcphee-answers-fans-questions/
Last edited by Don_Waddell on Tue May 16, 2017 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wolves fan for life

Postby Mike » Tue May 16, 2017 3:04 pm

I'm more interested in seeing what Vlad will have as a new Avatar. :pop: :-D
George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider."

Wolves fan for life

Postby Howler1 » Tue May 16, 2017 3:51 pm

It sounds like they don't want to be a Wolves parent but a partner with vegas. Its all semantics and maybe a little saving face for St Louis

Wolves fan for life

Postby wanker751 » Tue May 16, 2017 5:02 pm

Don_Waddell wrote:Maybe it's time to give up the "independent" operations guise. Wendell can do community relations and the Wolves can be the Iowa Chops/Stars/Wild. How involved are Don and Buddy these days anyway?

For McPhee, it’s a chance to develop the organization’s on-ice philosophy with its top minor league club. The Knights will hire the Wolves coaching and hockey operations staff. The marketing, public relations and sales staff will remain under control of Wolves owner Don Levin.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/golden-knights-nhl/golden-knights-ahl-affiliate-to-be-chicago-wolves/

“We’re in a good place with our (AHL) club,” he said. “We’re going to a market with a good hockey history and a team which has been winning. We’ll have full authority over all hockey matters. We’ll supply the coaches and many of the players. It’s all about development and winning.”

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/golden-knights-nhl/golden-knights-gm-george-mcphee-answers-fans-questions/

These terms have been in place for a while though. Wolves hadn't had control over coaching for a while now.

As for wolves signed players, don't see that changing a roster still needs to be filled out. Usually those players do that, not all of Vegas players will be here, some young players will be in juniors, college etc...

Wolves fan for life

Postby wanker751 » Tue May 16, 2017 5:05 pm

WolfKeeper wrote:Who's going to coach them?

I know Berube had ties with Mcphee I believe, and since blues don't have an AHL team he is avalible.

Wolves fan for life

Postby chilly666 » Tue May 16, 2017 5:12 pm

wanker751 wrote:

I know Berube had ties with Mcphee I believe, and since blues don't have an AHL team he is avalible.

the only way he coaches the wolves this season is if the blues let him out of his contract. his contract is with the blues to coach to the wolves.

Captain of the Gravy Train

Postby Alvious » Wed May 17, 2017 6:17 am

All I know is that if I read one more social media post about how the Blues should "move their farm team" to Kansas City, or Vegas should "put their farm team" in Reno, I'm going to lose it.
Bring your champions, they're our meat!

Wolves fan for life

Postby wanker751 » Wed May 17, 2017 6:21 am

chilly666 wrote:
wanker751 wrote:

the only way he coaches the wolves this season is if the blues let him out of his contract. his contract is with the blues to coach to the wolves.

Thanks, yeah I had no idea how that worked since that is not an option technically for him, if he was released from that contract.

4th Line Goon

Postby Don_Waddell » Wed May 17, 2017 7:58 am

Some good info at Crain's. I actually like the idea of GMGM at the helm.

4th Line Goon

Postby Skates » Wed May 17, 2017 8:12 am

But when am I getting a new litter box? Seriously!? This arena is a dump.
I shall rain down t-shirts of death upon you.

Wolves fan for life

Postby Goon1 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:43 am

Mike wrote:I'm more interested in seeing what Vlad will have as a new Avatar. :pop: :-D

Ask and you will receive.
Dirk, Lurxst, and Pratt

Wolves fan for life

Postby 8cylinders » Wed May 17, 2017 11:45 am

warno wrote:Does this mean the fireworks music will change from Kickstart My Heart to Viva Las Vegas? :lol:

Nicely played. :lol:

Looks like back to square one again, again. I wonder if Granato is available for some bringing back some old memories. :shock:
How about this for telling someone to lay off you: 'If you don't leave me alone I'll kick the constipation out of you!' Now that's a butt kicking...........

Wolves fan for life

Postby nmuwildcat » Wed May 17, 2017 6:08 pm

8cylinders wrote:...I wonder if Granato is available for some bringing back some old memories. :shock:

He's busy with his brother in Madison.
There is no "D" in Karel Pilar.

Enforcer

Postby PaulyWolf » Wed May 17, 2017 7:38 pm

Well this was a welcome surprise.After the way the team fizzled against GR after game 2 this is a partnership that can bear fruit for both sides.Seems like the Wolves mailed it in after the Blues were eliminated from the NHL playoffs.Maybe they knew that the affiliation was going to end.Now comes the million dollar question which may rankle a few on the board or it might not.For their history the Wolves have always been independent. Didn't matter when they joined the AHL they were still independent and had good working relationships with the Thrashers,Canucks,and Blues.Now will the Wolves allow the Golden Knights to put the Golden Knights logo on the Wolves Jersey shoulders as most of the AHL teams have done.Or will they do like Grand Rapids;which have the Red Wings on one side and the GR crest on the other.I don't want to start World War 3 here;just wondering what the other posters think the team would/will do.The Golden Knights logo is a cool logo.It would look good on the maroon jersey maybe on one side with the Wolves logo on the other.I'm just thinking that this is something the team might be thinking about doing.

Wolves fan for life

Postby chilly666 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:48 pm

Alvious wrote:All I know is that if I read one more social media post about how the Blues should "move their farm team" to Kansas City, or Vegas should "put their farm team" in Reno, I'm going to lose it.

haha funny cause reno isn't even ready to go yet until at least '18-19 and for the echl

Wolves fan for life

Postby warno » Thu May 18, 2017 7:33 am

PaulyWolf wrote:Now will the Wolves allow the Golden Knights to put the Golden Knights logo on the Wolves Jersey shoulders as most of the AHL teams have done.Or will they do like Grand Rapids;which have the Red Wings on one side and the GR crest on the other.I don't want to start World War 3 here;just wondering what the other posters think the team would/will do.The Golden Knights logo is a cool logo.It would look good on the maroon jersey maybe on one side with the Wolves logo on the other.I'm just thinking that this is something the team might be thinking about doing.

Highly unlikely, especially since this is essentially a split affiliation with STL. Blues brass are not going to want their prospects wearing Vegas logos on their sweaters. Wolves have never worn the parent team's crest anywhere on the uniform so I don't expect them to start now.

Wolves fan for life

Postby nmuwildcat » Thu May 18, 2017 8:02 am

warno wrote:...Wolves have never worn the parent team's crest anywhere on the uniform so I don't expect them to start now.

Wasn't the Thrasher logo on one of the shoulders of the black alternate jersey around 2003-04?

Wolves fan for life

Postby wanker751 » Thu May 18, 2017 8:36 am

PaulyWolf wrote:Well this was a welcome surprise.After the way the team fizzled against GR after game 2 this is a partnership that can bear fruit for both sides.Seems like the Wolves mailed it in after the Blues were eliminated from the NHL playoffs.Maybe they knew that the affiliation was going to end.Now comes the million dollar question which may rankle a few on the board or it might not.For their history the Wolves have always been independent. Didn't matter when they joined the AHL they were still independent and had good working relationships with the Thrashers,Canucks,and Blues.Now will the Wolves allow the Golden Knights to put the Golden Knights logo on the Wolves Jersey shoulders as most of the AHL teams have done.Or will they do like Grand Rapids;which have the Red Wings on one side and the GR crest on the other.I don't want to start World War 3 here;just wondering what the other posters think the team would/will do.The Golden Knights logo is a cool logo.It would look good on the maroon jersey maybe on one side with the Wolves logo on the other.I'm just thinking that this is something the team might be thinking about doing.

I disagree, I think that logo is awful. Very disappointed with it.

Wolves fan for life

Postby warno » Thu May 18, 2017 8:47 am

nmuwildcat wrote:
warno wrote:...Wolves have never worn the parent team's crest anywhere on the uniform so I don't expect them to start now.

Wasn't the Thrasher logo on one of the shoulders of the black alternate jersey around 2003-04?

You're right. It was small and barely visible and only on the alternate that year. I don't think they've ever done it on the whites or burgundys though.

Wolves fan for life

Postby Chiwolf » Thu May 18, 2017 12:30 pm

warno wrote:
nmuwildcat wrote:

You're right. It was small and barely visible and only on the alternate that year. I don't think they've ever done it on the whites or burgundys though.

I thought the closest the Wolves came was to do an alternate jersey like the Thrashers "Phoenix" looking one, but with Wolf paw prints, not sure they ever had a shoulder logo on any of them, but am curious to see a picture.
I'm The Illest Motherf@cker From Here To Gardena

Wolves fan for life

Postby nmuwildcat » Sat May 20, 2017 5:41 am

warno wrote:Does this mean the fireworks music will change from Kickstart My Heart to Viva Las Vegas? :lol:

I was thinking Genesis - Land of Confusion seemed fitting. :lol:

Wolves fan for life

Postby chilly666 » Sat May 20, 2017 12:32 pm

btw it looks like the quad city mallards could be the echl affiliate in this setup. the mallards posted a tweet with a link to a press release earlier today that quickly was deleted.

Enforcer

Postby PaulyWolf » Tue May 23, 2017 9:03 am

Skates wrote:But when am I getting a new litter box? Seriously!? This arena is a dump.

Ha.You'll play in the Rosemont Horizen and Like it. :o Yep,it's a 37 year old arena,but the only other option would be Sears Centre in Hoffman Estates as UIC Pavilion took out the ice making machine when they dropped Men's hockey.There is a charm to Allstate Arena,it's got that 1980's vibe to it.And for what some consider an obsolete arena they manage to book it with a good amount of events per year.

Wolves fan for life

Postby Wolfwolf » Tue May 23, 2017 11:35 am

PaulyWolf wrote:
Skates wrote:But when am I getting a new litter box? Seriously!? This arena is a dump.

Ha.You'll play in the Rosemont Horizen and Like it. :o Yep,it's a 37 year old arena,but the only other option would be Sears Centre in Hoffman Estates as UIC Pavilion took out the ice making machine when they dropped Men's hockey.There is a charm to Allstate Arena,it's got that 1980's vibe to it.And for what some consider an obsolete arena they manage to book it with a good amount of events per year.[/qu

With the WORST sight lines of any pro hockey arena I've ever been to.
A COMPLETE DISASTER when trying to build a consistent fandom.
It just plain SUCKS!
WolfWolf

Enforcer

Postby PaulyWolf » Tue May 23, 2017 12:56 pm

[quote="Wolfwolf"]

With the WORST sight lines of any pro hockey arena I've ever been to.
A COMPLETE DISASTER when trying to build a consistent fandom.
It just plain SUCKS!

I don't think the arena was built with hockey in mind.It was more designed as a suburban arena with seats that did not go up vertically such as Chicago Stadium but designed with the Luxury boxes at the back getting an un-obstructed view of the action.It could of been designed better;Kemper arena in Kansas City was built with Luxury boxes at the top of the first level with a better vertical seating arrangement.

Wolves fan for life

Postby Howler1 » Wed May 24, 2017 10:48 am

I don't think the AA is nearly as bad you you think it is. Yes the lower bowl is flatter than ideal. But its flat for all events not just hockey. I prefer the upper bowl seats for that reason. No we do not need another arena. Does it have a negative impact on most fans...no I don't think they care. Is Sears Centre a better arena? No actually I don't. For a lot of reasons. The only reason I can think of liking it is that it is closer to my home.

Wolves fan for life

Postby warno » Wed May 24, 2017 12:49 pm

Howler1 wrote:I don't think the AA is nearly as bad you you think it is. Yes the lower bowl is flatter than ideal. But its flat for all events not just hockey. I prefer the upper bowl seats for that reason. No we do not need another arena. Does it have a negative impact on most fans...no I don't think they care. Is Sears Centre a better arena? No actually I don't. For a lot of reasons. The only reason I can think of liking it is that it is closer to my home.

Totally agree. Much better sightlines upstairs. I can't believe that anybody would stay away based soley on the poor configuration of the lower bowl. While the Horizon was originally designed to be the home of the WHA's Cougars, apparently the architects never went to a game at Chicago Stadium...steep rows on all levels, great place to watch a game.

Wolves fan for life

Postby Wolfwolf » Thu May 25, 2017 6:58 am

warno wrote:
Howler1 wrote:I don't think the AA is nearly as bad you you think it is. Yes the lower bowl is flatter than ideal. But its flat for all events not just hockey. I prefer the upper bowl seats for that reason. No we do not need another arena. Does it have a negative impact on most fans...no I don't think they care. Is Sears Centre a better arena? No actually I don't. For a lot of reasons. The only reason I can think of liking it is that it is closer to my home.

Totally agree. Much better sightlines upstairs. I can't believe that anybody would stay away based soley on the poor configuration of the lower bowl. While the Horizon was originally designed to be the home of the WHA's Cougars, apparently the architects never went to a game at Chicago Stadium...steep rows on all levels, great place to watch a game.

DING DING DING-----WRONG-------The Rosemont Horizon was a bastardization of what was supposed to be the Chicago Cougars Ohare Arena, SPORTS did not enter into the thinking in the reconfiguration of the plans. Ice was not put in until many years later.
The Horizon was built for concerts, hence the uncomfortable hard material small seats that were put in the original design. All sports were an afterthought in the beginning.
WolfWolf

3rd Line Grinder

Postby WolvesFan86 » Thu May 25, 2017 7:48 am

I don't know if it will have Ice, but they are currently building the 10,000 seat Wintrust Arena by McCormick Place. It will be the new home of DePaul basketball starting next season. But I don't want the Wolves to leave the Allstatea Arena simply because it is 5 mins from my house and fairly easy to get into and out of compared to other arenas, epically ones with parking garages, like rockford.

Next

Return to On the Ice